When William cries in the night, or when I miss a day of classes because Penny needs surgery, or when I slowed down for a few years so she could get extensive therapy, or when my dad is in the hospital and we go visit him... All of those things are, from a certain vantage point, self-sacrificial. I put aside my wants (maybe my needs) for the needs and wants of another. And yet I don't experience it as self-sacrificial. I experience it as joy.
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
It's true. Self sacrifice is the name of the game of parenting (or it should be). But, the amazing thing is that it does lead to joy. Extreme joy.
Last year at Thanksgiving my extended nuclear family sat at the table & said what they were thankful for. Husbands devoted themselves to wives, etc. It was amazing. I said that what I was most thankful for was the day in & day out of being a mom. Helping put socks on or practicing for a spelling test. That's joy.
Post a Comment